For patients and carers
How to stay well and out of hospital
It’s vital to Have the CHAT with your doctor as soon as you experience any worsening of symptoms.
Make the most out of your doctor’s appointment by using the following tips:
- Make appointments with the same doctor, except in an urgent situation and when your normal doctor is unavailable.
- List questions and concerns about your COPD in order of priority before your visit.
- Ask for a longer appointment or schedule a second visit if you have lots of questions or concerns.
- Don’t avoid asking questions because you are embarrassed. Your doctor is there to help.
- Bring a friend or family member for support.
- Ask your doctor to write answers down so you can review them later.
- Find out from your doctor when you should make your next appointment and ask what to do if your symptoms worsen or if you’re not getting better.
Lung Foundation Australia has developed a suite of evidence-based resources to help patients Have the CHAT with their doctor about Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) exacerbations so that they can recognise and manage any worsening symptoms and avoid hospitalisation.